Downtown Wichita, Kansas
The Wichita, Kansas Chapter, of Delta sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was established March 9, 1935 at the home of Dorothy Odell Terrell on 924 North Water Street. Naomi Cherot, a national officer from Kansas City, Kansas, established the chapter with the assistance of Beatrice Penman, also a national officer. This chapter was given the Greek name “Alph Phi,” a mixed chapter composed of graduates and undergraduates.
Alpha Phi Chapter became “Wichita Alumnae” a graduate chapter, on May 11, 1967. The chapter was chartered at the home of Betty Wesley, with the assistance of Lorene McConnell, Central Regional Director Denver, Colorado, who also at this time established Zeta Beta, our undergraduate chapter.
Delta Sigma Theta has always focused on creating and sponsoring activities and programs that are geared toward the educational development of the local community. We have sponsored the Ebony Fashion Fair since its first presentation to Wichita in 1959. Our chapter has contributed to the United Negro College Fund and has financed local and individual scholarships. These contributions have been in excess of 125,000.
Wichita Alumnae has successfully spearheaded and participated in numerous projects to include: Delta Day at the Capitol. Headstart Project, The Black Infant Mortality Project, health awareness workshops, voter registration, student exchange programs, leadership and training seminars, local leadership recognition programs, and several United Way programs.
Our membership is composed of college educated professional women with many outstanding accomplishments. The chapter has grown from nine members in 1935 to over seventy-five in 1990. The Wichita Alumnae Chapter is comprised of outstanding women dedicated to public service in the Wichita community.